Commedia dell’Arte is based on the concept of status, from the lowest (the servants, the category called “Zanni”), to the highest (the Masters).Please keep in mind that, inside of each status, unmasked characters are higher than masked character and females are more powerful than males. Every stock character has a particular urgency that struggles to satisfy.
Stock characters and their necessities:
- Gli “Zanni”, the Servants (Arlecchino, Brighella, Bagattino, Scapino, etc…): food, sleep
- Gli “Innamorati”, the Lovers (Flavio, Aurelio, Leandro and Isabella, Flaminia, etc…): love
- Il “Capitano”, the Captain (Matamoros, Gian Gurgolo, Fracasso, Meosquaquara): having his ego stroked
- The Old men: il “Magnifico”,the greedy old merchant (Pantalone, Facanapa…) and the “I am the one that pretends to know everything, but I don’t”… Il “Dottore”, the doctor (Ballanzone, Plusquanperfectum…).
- And, above all, La “Signora” (Donna Rosaura, Madame Pompadour, etc…): power, lust, money.